Thursday, August 5, 2010

Teacher, Study and Discussion Guides for Life As We Knew It, The Dead And The Gone, and This World We Live In



While many of the following links are available on the side of the blog, I thought it might be helpful to have a single entry with links to various teacher's, discussion and study guides, book talks, and other useful things for Life As We Knew It, The Dead And The Gone, and This World We Live In.

I'll try to keep this entry up to date, with new links as I find them.

The single best source remains the University of Missouri eThemes for LAWKI.

Amongst its links are those for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's Classroom Resources for all three books, and Scholastic's guide for LAWKI.

Here's the Teen Book Guide to LAWKI.

There's a Super Summary Guide to LAWKI.


I just discovered this Life As We Knew It book unit with writing prompts.


The invaluable Nancy Keene has book talks for Life As We Knew It and The Dead And The Gone.

Here's my blog entry, full of links, for program ideas for LAWKI and d&g.

I also wrote a blog entry about the science of LAWKI and d&g.

If you're interested in my writing process, here are my preliminary notes for d&g and TWWLI as well as scraps of dialogue both used and unused.

Just in case you talk about me, here's how to pronounce Pfeffer correctly.

With 76 books published, and #77 (Blood Wounds) due in the fall of 2011, I need a list of my books. This is the one I go to. It's not completely accurate, but what in life is.

Have some doubts about the originality of those essays on The Dead And The Gone? Maybe your students did a little shopping here.

Scooter and I hope this helps!

10 comments:

kAtY bUg!!! said...

hiiiii!:) im readying your book life as we knew it. Im kinda freaked out that the moon is gonna fall and hit earth and kill me now but you know, i cant stop reading?

TURTLELUVR said...

Omg same here!!!! We are reading it in class and now we are all freaked out becasue of the tsunami that just happened and now there is supposed to be a strange moon pattern next week!!! It is soooooo good and i am only on ch 2 :DD

Turtleluvr said...

OMG!!! I know...i am so freaked out because of the huge tsunami that just happened in Japan.. And now there is supposed to be unsual moon patterns next week!!! Kind of freaky!!! I think the book is awesome though and i am only on chapter 2

Anonymous said...

Hi, your book Life As We Knew it is amazing! Sure it has a lot of terrible disasters, i wrote a review on it at school and lets hope i get a good mark for it !! xx J.

Anonymous said...

Does the mom in this book have a name? If she does, what is it? I neeeeed to know!!!!!!

love326 said...

You Should Really Make A 4th Book.
I Didnt Quite Finish This World We Live In But I Got Really Close Then My School Year Ened And My Librabry Shut Down......I'll Make Sure To Go To My Public Library And Read It All Over...
I Heard The Hunger Games Is Making A Movie?
That Is An Amazing Book...So Is Yours Everyone Would Pick The Book Up...Walk To Me And Be Like "Is This Good?"
Its Excellent.
I Felt Protective Over Life As We Knew It For A Long Time.?
But Please Make More Books....Your Very Talented.
Great Work Susan

Kelly said...

Hi!
After fighting with my son all weekend about reading this book for English, we decided to read a bit of it together until he got started. After the first few chapters, I was hooked! I have ordered the two other books online yesterday. I can't wait till they come in the mail!
BTW--my son is enjoying the reading we are doing together...I think he will do well.

Anonymous said...

HI!!
I JUST FINISHED THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN, WHEN I FIRST GOT IT, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT IT WAS THE LAST BOOK. BUT AS SOON AS I STARTED READING IT, I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN. I'M GOING TO LOOK FOR THE FIRST 2 IN MY LIBRARY. ANYWAYS YOUR WORK IS AMAZING AND YOU SHOULD MAKE A 4TH BOOK!PLUS I EVEN CRIED!

Nikki Hornstein said...

I'm going to be teaching both LAWKI and D & G in my English 10 class and have been looking for some short stories, articles, video clips etc to supplement the novel, does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

seth ryan said...

i just finished life as we knew it i almost cryed so many times this book deserves to be a movie i think it would be amazing this would be better then twilight and maybe even harry potter

. seth at hamilton high school in hamilton ohio